Tuesday, March 18, 2008

1 is greater than 141

I just got done watching a Christian T.V. show. The format of the show was like many others; there was a panel of five experts. The topic which they were discussing was the rapture and I was intrigued because I do not know as much as I should on the topic. So I watch and they began to read an article from another Christian who disagreed with their theology.

I tuned in to this program to learn more about the rapture but it turned into a "Christian Slam Fest." The panel started to label the author and what was wrong in his article. One expert went as far to say that the reason why this author and others like him did not teach his type of theology was because they "could not understand it." Another said "I believe we will all be in heaven one day (talking about Christians, regardless of what type of Christianity you believe in)…but some of us will have our theology corrected."

Mean while I am sitting couch in shock. How often do we do this? In some degrees we are right and in the same way we are all wrong. No one knows how everything works and I am certainly not claiming to know it all either. I know when I stand before God in judgment he will tell me I blew many times but why are arguing with each other?

What good will that do?

How many people were saved because of your beliefs?

1As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. (Eph. 4:1-6)

We all have a piece to the puzzle but if we keep on arguing among each other we are just going backwards. There are 141 different Christian churches, by my count and each one has a different view on theology. Honestly if we keep fighting each other where are we going to get?
But what if we worked together? What if a Catholic Church and Baptist church worked together to feed the hungry? What if a Methodist and Lutheran church worked together to bring the gospel to needy people? How many people would be saved then?

What if we put are petty differences aside and became Christians and identified with Christ beliefs rather than our own personal beliefs? It is simple math but 1 is greater than 141!

No comments: