Friday, June 27, 2008

Why is there so much evil?

I consider myself to be on front line of this on going war in between good and evil. Although, as some as my atheist friends like to point out, if God was real there would not be any evil at all.

"If God is so good, then why is there so much evil? It does not make sense Zaq, if God is so good to his people then how could he allow events like the Holocaust to happen? Does that sound like a good God to you?"

I will be honest, until now I have not had a good answer to this question. I have always relied on "stock" Christian answers like, "God works in mysterious ways..." but now I agree with them.

No, I am not saying God is not real. I am not saying God is not good. In fact, I believe God is the infinite, never ceasing good. What I agree with is there is no evil.

You see what is wrong with my friends and so many others idea of God is that he can be measured. That science can measure God on some sort of scale but you cannot because God is infinite. God is on going and never ending, much like his goodness.

There are many things science cannot measure, one example is cold. You can measure heat but not cold. You can have little heat, lots of heat, super heat, mega-super heat and no heat, that is what cold is, lack of heat. If you were to measure heat it would start with -458 degrees (absolute zero) and never end because heat, like God, is infinite. Cold is just a word we use to describe the lack of heat. If cold was real, it would go on forever.

Another example is darkness. Darkness is not something but rather the lack of something, the lack of light. Again you can little light , lots of light, bright light and no light which we call darkness. If darkness was something it could get darker and darker.

What is wrong with my friends idea is that it is based of the principles of duality, which says there are two sides to each coin. That there is a hot and cold but we now know there just heat. That there is light and dark but we now know there is just light. That there is good and evil but as I am about to explain, there is no evil.

God is the infinite good. So what is evil but the lack of God? When God flooded the world because man was evil he found that Noah was good because he "walked with God." When I sin, I do not do it with God in mind. When someone cuts me off in traffic and I tell them they are "number 1" I do not do it because God is with me. If you are christian think about it, when do you feel the farthest from God?

I feel the farthest from God when I am in sin. When I do "evil" or when I lack God in my life. You see the Holocaust was not performed by God but rather without God. Man since the creation has been trying to rebel away from God, to take care of themselves. Since that day, we have messed everything up. It was not in God's plan for us to be without him or to be evil. It is my sincerest belief that God has done everything he could to win back our affection, he even gave up his son.

In all of his provisions, why are we so richly blessed?

No comments: