Sunday, August 24, 2008

Call me crazy...

The toughest part of being a Christian follower for me is living in this world. Do not get me wrong, I am not going to go commit suicide to go be with my heavenly father and I am not praying to have my life taken away from me before it is my time. What I am saying is I live in a world that is not just Christ followers and that kills me. It is the way God made things and I am not questioning why he did this but it is hard. What is even harder is I have friends right now if Jesus would come they would not be in Heaven with me. I cannot stand it but it is reality.

The biggest reason most of my friends or people I have encountered do not believe is because they believe there is not enough proof.

“Zaq, if your mighty God could just show himself to me I would believe.”

While being a follower of Christ is about having faith, I do not believe you have to have perfect faith to believe. If that was true then a handful of people would be “true Christians.” Jesus rebuked his disciples for having little faith and told them if they had “faith the size of a mustard seed” they could move mountains. I guess you could take the first twelve of the list.

What I am getting at is you do not have to have “perfect faith” to be a Christian. You can have doubts, questions and struggles and still be a Christian. There are no parameters to follow Christ, no set list of rules you have to follow to be a Christian. God has just given us guidelines for a successful and happy life and as his followers we should follow them.

Recently I have been asked, “If there was no Heaven would you still be a Christian.”

Yes. At first I made the question complicated, I over thought it. At the time I still said yes but now I believe I have a better reason. You see my life, my walk with Jesus Christ is not goal oriented. On the rare occasion when I do not give in to temptation, it is not because I am afraid of being rejected from Heaven. No not all but rather because I do not want to do that to Jesus. He died on the cross for me so I could be without sin but to consciously sin anyway would be like punching Jesus in the stomach. It is like when your best friend asks you not to do something but do it anyway, it is selfish. I am sure it has happened to you, how did you feel?

I do not want to do that to Jesus. Call me crazy (it will not be the first time…) but Jesus is my best friend and I do not want to do that to him.

No comments: