Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What I Did for Jesus Today...

The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Mathew 25:40

I have started giving guitar lessons to a couple of students that go to my church. One of which does not have her own guitar so I told her I would help her find a good one to get her started. We where supposed to go the other day but we were not able to because I got held up at work but today I went to Guitar Center to scout out a few possible guitars for her. Okay, I really just wanted to check out the new Gibson Humming Birds they got in (awesome by the way)!

So after completely following in love with a guitar that cost more than I make in a year...not kidding...I started to drive home a little bummed. I exited the mall parking lot and began to think about where I was going to eat lunch. Then I noticed someone in the distance holding a cardboard sign.

"Please Help...God Bless"

I pulled up to this lady and ask her what I could do. She told me how she was stranded in the area and needed to get to Erie. I told her that I was not going that way and rolled up my window and continued to drive off. My heart was heavy as I sat in my warm, safe and dry truck as it started to rain. How could I leave someone Jesus died for stranded in the rain?

The light turned green and whipped into a parking lot and went to her and asked her if I could buy her lunch. Without hesitation she said anything would do and asked if I could get something for her friend who was working the other side of the intersection. So I walked down to McDonald's and got four burgers, two Fries and two coffees for them. Walked on back and handed the food to her friend and walked back to the other women with whom I spoke.

I was ready to leave but some where between my walk to the other women, I knew lunch was not going to cut it. Jesus did say "when I was hungry you fed me" but he also said "when I was thirsty you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." These women needed so much more and no one was helping them.

When I got to the other women I told her I gave the food to her friend and then I told her I did not have any cash but I had to find an ATM because I wanted to buy them their bus tickets. So I walked around and eventually ended up and K-Mart and I bought two ponchos and used the cash back option to get them some cash. I got back to them and gave them the cash and ponchos and stood with them for awhile and found out that their names are Monica and Heather.

I did not write this to say I am better than you because I helped these people (and by the way it does not make me a better person). The thing is the USA is a Christian Nation and is populated by Christian People and in the time I was with Monica and Heather only one person besides me helped them. I saw plenty of "Jesus Fish" bumper stickers on cars driving past, avoiding eye contact with us.

And we wonder why we are called hypocrites.

No comments: