Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Eastern Essay...

So I had to write an essay for all my college applications and this one I like a lot. The question was something to the extent of why do you agree with Eastern's Mission Statement. Enjoy.

Since the time I have been sixteen I have been looking and researching colleges that I felt to be appropriate for myself. In that time I have probably dreamt of attending twenty different colleges or so but my reasoning for wanting to attend those colleges were immature and childish. I wanted to go that college because my friend was there, that school because she was there and that university because they had a good football team. My reasoning for wanting to attend a certain college was not based on the integrity of that college but rather how much fun I could have there. Today I want attend a university that will be able to prepare me for life by instilling me with knowledge and ethics.

Recently I have been feeling a huge call to help the needy, especially the homeless. Somehow in popular Christianity we have seemed to forgotten about the poor, at least in our own neighborhoods. I have noticed that a lot of Christians would rather send a check to someone across the world than help their neighbor in need. Do not misunderstand me, it is wonderful to help those around the world by sending money to them but Jesus did not say I was broke and you wrote me a check. He said…

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” Mathew 25:35-36

Too many of our theologies on serving are pay, pray and get out of the way. Give the church money to help the needy, pray that we are successful in helping the needy and get out of the way. I think if we are going to be successful in serving the poor we need to get our hands dirty. That is why I like the Mission Statement of Eastern University. The sections covering Justice and Community scream that you want your students to be active in helping the needy. “We particularly seek to work with and for poor” and “…desire a campus community…that embodies values of Christian witness, caring and compassion, justice and integrity, competence and affirmation.” This speaks to the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to how I feel called to serve Him.

1 comment:

Melina said...

Wow, That is amazing.
You are so strong in your faith. and I know God will use you and probably already has!