Sunday, November 30, 2008

How much do you fight...

When I read the bible I sort of slip myself into the story. I like to insert my name for a character of the story and just run with it. It helps me understand what the particular story has to do with my life.

So I am reading Genesis 32 and I get to the part where Jacob wrestles with God. I insert myself for Jacob and just continue reading.

"That night Zaq got up and took his two wives (You go Deuce!), his two maidservants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions. So Zaq was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Zaq's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak."

But Zaq replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." (Genesis 32:22-26 the Zaq Phillips Revised Version)

I find many things interesting with this passage. First off it makes me think of how much effort that it would take to wrestle with God. I am just throwing it out there but I would be willing to bet God is pretty buff. How could this man, how could I wrestle with God for so long?

The next thing I see is that God "touched" Jacobs hip and it was wrenched. This makes me think that maybe the struggle God was having with Jacob was not physical. Sure it ended up in a physical format but if God "touched" Jacob and it wrenched or dislocated Jacobs hip, could he not overpower him?

Now I am thinking about it. I know if I was to go head to toe with the creator of the universe I would loose. Personally I do not like to fight but if this struggle was more than physical I could last awhile. In fact I do it all the time. I feel a calling in my life and I put it off or do not do it at all. In fact I read this passage more than two weeks ago. I am in Exodus 18 now!

Which brings me back to my first point. How much effort does it take to struggle with God?

A lot, I am exhausted...

1 comment:

Amber Biddle said...

exhausted but not weary...