Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Daily Bread...

"Give us our daily bread..."

We hear that phrase constantly in church. It is a really churchy phrase but yet again how many times is it explained. A lot of people believe the daily bread concept is such a Christianity 101 thing there is not much need to explain it. You do not need to go into such depth on it because you should know what it means. It is something that is explained to you in Sunday School when your a kid. How do you not know what it is?

Well if you are like me you did not grow up in a church. You went to maybe two Sunday school classes with your friend, just because you slept over his house and there mom is very religious. So what is the daily bread concept?

When Moses lead Israel out of Egypt, God provided them with Daily Bread. The bread would rain down from the sky and the Israelites where to gather what they needed for the day. They could only gather what was needed, any extra bread would rot before the next the day. The Israelites had to rely on God to provide for them daily.

Today, as Christians, we are supposed to rely on God to provide for us. We are supposed to rely that God will provide us with food, shelter, love, grace, everything and anything we need. Now I am not saying that we are supposed to just sit around and let God do everything. You are not supposed to sit in your house and not work because God is going to provide for you or you do not have to go grocery shopping because God is going to give you food. Rather God allows you to get groceries because he enables you to work. When things are tough just take in that God will provide whatever you need to get through the day.

I live a very discouraging life. It is an understatement to say that my family does not understand my choice to go into ministry. I am constantly under going a barrage of insults by the Devil.

"You cannot make a difference."

"God does not even love you."

"You are worthless."

"How can you help other people when you cannot help yourself."

Just to name a few. What I crave most from God is just to be able to work with people who needs his love and if some way I am able to bring them closer to him, well it is just wonderful. He gives me such great opportunities and this is what keeps me going.

Events like when...

Thomas gave his life to Christ...

Amber gave her life to Christ...

Blaine gave his life to Christ...

Caleb gave his life to Christ...

Mouse broke her walnut...

Amber decided to go into ministry...

Alex got baptized again...

Seth giving his testimony at last years youth retreat...

an unnamed youth stopped cutting...

an another unnamed youth stopped smoking...

anytime we have Communion and a youth had gone up for seconds...

Keeks hugging the cross...

Bree just so concentrated on worship, you could not interrupt he if you wanted too...

and so many more just like these sustain my heart. They are my daily bread that keeps me going through the day. Said events help me remember what God has called me to do and do not let me give up on my mission. So thank you guys for allowing me to be apart of it.

No comments: